You're at a social function. FRG meeting. Church potluck. Scanning the table, you stake out your best bet for a meal and hope to find the person who brought it.
After asking around, you approach the cook and ask what's in the dish she brought.
You get one of three responses.
1. She either freezes like a deer in the headlights, blushes slightly and tells you she's not sure. (It's a frozen appetizer from Sam's Club.) Uncomfortable that you've embarrassed her, you thank her and tell her it looks delicious. Sam's Club has such great stuff. Whoops.
2. She smiles widely, says she's glad you liked it. It's her great-grandmother's recipe, and she'd be happy to share it with you. Uncomfortable that you now have to tell her that you haven't actually eaten any of her dish, you look like a deer in the lights and stutter something to the effect of, "Um, so I have these allergies."
As you collect yourself, you venture, "I'd like to try it. What's in the dish?"
She tips her head up, screws up her face and starts recounting as many of the ingredients as she can, listing 12 things you can't eat. You patiently listen, as you wrack your brain for a way to get her to stop without offending her. And then tell break her heart by telling her you won't be eating that dish that "looked so good."
3. She asks what you are allergic to. You open and close your mouth like a fish, trying to figure out where to start because there's no simple answer to the question. YOU can barely remember all the ingredients on the soy list, let alone recite them in a non-overwhelming way!
I'm still refining my potluck skills.
Here's the approach I'm going to try out to make these conversations less awkward.
Out with the Truth
"I heard you made that great-looking dish. I'd like to try it, but I have a few food allergies."
All about that Base
If they began by spraying the pan with cooking spray, it's all over...so you might as well start there.
Round 1: "Can I ask a few questions about your ingredients? What did you use to grease the pan?"
Allergen free? On to round 2.
Round 2: "What kind of butter or oil did you use?"
Once you have established that the "base" is free of soy, go for broke and ask away.
Good luck at your next potluck. I wish you veggie platters and tortilla chips.
What are your tips for making potlucks work with food allergies?
No comments:
Post a Comment